Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Jodha Akbar- A Quick Review

Ok I know its too late to be reviewing Jodha Akbar in the true sense. Nevertheless I will still like to write my take on the movie. Frankly speaking I was quite skeptical about the project initially but it was when I saw it I realized that the hype was nearly worth it. To make a historical and to make a success out of it is no mean task & hence I do appreciate Ashutosh Gowarikar’s work.

The tale is basically about how the young secular Mughal Emperor Akbar played by Hrithik ends up marrying Jodha Bai played by Aishwarya Rai, a Rajput princess purely as a strategic decision and how eventually both of them actually fall in love. It also chronicles the treachery played by family members themselves, has some wars, a lot of conspiracy and some reasonably good music all thrown in.

Performance wise I would say the Hrithik-Aish combination works big time. They have done a lot of justice to their roles. Supporting cast- Sonu Sood, Ila Arun, Khulbushan Kharbanda, Poonam Sinha etc are all decent. Music by A.R.Rehman is not of the commercial variety- but very soothing. Khwaja mere khwaja and Kehne ko jashn-e-bahara are the pick of the lot.

Costumes by Neeta Lulla are really amazing and fit the mood and time of the period. Though its definitely a lengthy movie, basically for the casting, costumes and A.R.Rehman’s music its worth a watch.

Rating- 3.5/5

No comments: