Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Delhi 6- "Why and Why Not"

( Spoiler alert- beware those who are yet to watch the movie)
Initially I did not have any idea to review or write anything on Delhi-6. After all I had seen the movie on the day of release, found it to have some interesting moments, great music and excellent camera work- but that was all to it. Also with so many others writing about it I did not really feel I would write anything new on the movie. But I write this now for a special reason- I’ve just finished seeing the movie once again & what’s prompted me to do it is my fellow PFC author Amanda’s write- up on the movie(Check out- http://passionforcinema.com/a-collection-of-thoughts-on-delhi-6/ )So impressed was I with the write-up that I felt the movie deserved a re-visit from my side & so I did exactly that.
So now that I’ve done it, has my opinion changed? Do I think the movie works or do I still feel the same? Well to be honest rather than blindly answering these questions I would say that I’ve been able to understand the movie & ROM’s thought process much better now after seeing it again.
Here’s why I think the movie needs to be seen-
• Music by ARR is simply brilliant- each song speaks for itself
• Binod Pradhan’s camera work stands out- excellent
• Level of detailing done by ROM is amazing- check out the scene whenAbhishek after landing in India reaches home & wants to go the loo. Just when he is about to go in with a bucket in his hand, he gets a call from his mom. Check out the way Abhishek shows his discomfort by bending his legs repeatedly
• Deepak Dobriyal, Atul Kulkarni and Vijay Raaz stand out impressively in theirportrayals of their characters among the phenomenally impressive supportingstar cast.
• Lots of brilliant moments- though Om Puri & Pawan Malhotra are not in good terms, when Waheeda Rehman is being taken to the hospital, Pawan says LodhiHospital & Om Puri in turn asks people to move to Lodhi Hospital
.• Both brothers are seen to be having their daily quota of drinks in the same manner at the same time with just a wall separating them- amazing
• Amidst all the drama when Abhishek’s heart stops while the ambulance gets stuck and the doctor is trying to revive him- watch out for Vijay Raaz & Deepak Dobriyal. Deepak is handcuffed and slowly Vijay Raaz lets him go – nice gesture and very well shown
• The scene towards the end when Prem Chopra and K.K.Raina both attend to a nature’s call in a gali & then become friendly again putting the blame on ‘kaala bandar’ was interesting
• The way Atul Kulkarni keeps imitating the baba ( Akhilendra Mishra) by saying-baba sab theek kar dega- ok was simply hilarious
Here’s why I think the movie somehow doesn’t deliver what it promised-
• The character of Roshan played by Abhishek takes a long time for the audience to take a liking to. Initially he plays the typical NRI who finds everything interesting around him. It’s only when he stops fooling around with his Motorola phone that he begins to look serious enough.
• Bittu (Sonam Kapoor) comes across as an unconvincing character. Fine she wants to be an Indian Idol, but why would she be so dumb to want to run away with a nukkad wala, especially when she has some feelings for Roshan?
• The ending looked very forced and very cliched
• From the very beginning the movie was projected more as a revisiting of one’s roots based on ROM’s experiences during his childhood/youth in childhood, but the movie is much more than that and is full of metaphors and has a larger story to tell- but something that the people at large cannot decipher so easily.
• While the movie has plenty of interesting moments like the one’s mentioned above, overall the film does look disjointed and the message seems to be conveyed in a very convenient way and hence doesn’t look very convincing.
• I was lucky enough to be able to see someone’s passion and thus get passionate myself and go watch the movie again. How many such people would want to do the same? ROM & UTV believe that there are many who would do that- it’s a point that I would vehemently debate.
All in all I would say ROM has his heart in the right place as far as Delhi-6 is concerned, but the way he has executed the same leaves a lot to be desired. A collage of interesting moments, great music and excellent camera work, it falls short of making me satisfied with the overall product.

Originally published in PFC- check it out here- http://passionforcinema.com/delhi-6-%e2%80%93-why-and-why-not/

No comments: